Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chico California Wedding Photographer: Photography as An Art...

The other day, while on a walk, I found both of these things within about one block of each other. These are nearly treasures to a person like me -- the chairs hold so much potential for a re-design and the tricycle is just perfect. While they were just sitting near the curb, and while I could have justified taking them (seeing as they may have been out for that reason), the fact of the matter remained -- they weren't mine. So instead, I took a picture :)

I think this can be related to photography (bear with me): The photography industry has grown so much in the past decade. When I first studied photography in 1998, we developed our film and images in darkrooms. The digital era came upon us and suddenly we were all given the opportunity to pursue this art. This is wonderful! I have had so many more opportunities because of the digital era. However, I think there are some challenges.

Getting back to the photo below:
As a photographer, I have mentors in this industry. With photographers being more present than ever on the web, I am often inspired by the work of my colleagues. This in itself, is a great thing. Where it gets dangerous, is when we start to take others ideas and we no longer have our own. Photography is an infusion of skill and creativity. Skills can be developed, but it is our artistry that makes us unique.

For me, creativity has been the more difficult part of this industry. I am logical by nature and so I love to figure out the technical side of photography. Innovation and design is where I must work the hardest. Really, I have to be conscious that I don't simply copy other photographers. I must have a clear vision of what I want my business to look like.

So, when I am inspired by my mentors in this industry, I have to remember, that similar to the items in the photo below, their business and their designs and their photography is not mine. It is not free for the taking, even when it is so tempting.

I hope this blog post inspires other photographers in the industry to continue to stretch yourself creatively. If we are all working hard to develop our own ideas and work, then we won't be tempted to use someone elses.
Cheers to photography! What an amazing industry to work in!

Kim copy

1 comments:

Katie Campbell Photography said...

Very well written! Thanks for the reminder :) You inspire me! Your photos look beautiful.